Personal life has made it immediately very important for me to know about India.
I would say that I currently know very little about the history of that part of the world. I will admit that before reading this book I didn't even know that Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh were one big region under British rule and were separated according to religion, or that Bangladesh was originally part of Pakistan. Or that Mohandas Gandhi and Mahatma Gandhi were the same person, and the Gandhis that were major in politics in later years are not related to him.
Since this is my introduction to this area of history, it was a bit overwhelming at times, though overall I felt like it gave me a good foundation to begin my study. I'll be adding many of the "further reading" titles to my list.
On a side note, I'm finding that a lot of the books I find recommended for history of India are not available on Kindle. So sad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment